VA HOME LOANSThe VA Loan provides veterans with a federally guaranteed home loan which requires NO DOWN PAYMENT. This program was designed to provide housing and assistance for veterans and their families. The Veterans Administration provides insurance to lenders in case you default on a loan. Because the mortgage is guaranteed, lenders will offer a lower interest rate and terms than a conventional home loan. VA home loans are available in all 50 states. A VA loan may also have reduced closing costs and no prepayment penalties. Additionally, there are services that may be offered to veterans in danger of defaulting on their loans. VA home loans are available to military personnel that has either served 181 days during peacetime, 90 days during war, or a spouse of a serviceman either Killed or Missing-In-Action.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR A VA LOAN?
- Veterans who were NOT Dishonorably Discharged, and served at least 90 days
- World War II – September 16, 1940, to July 25, 1947
- Korean Conflict – June 27, 1950, to January 31, 1955
- Vietnam Era – August 5, 1964, to May 7, 1975
- Persian Gulf War - Check with the Veterans Administration Office
- Afghanistan & Iraq – Check with the Veterans Administration Office
- Veterans Administration website www.va.gov
- At least 181 days of continuous active duty with no dishonorable discharge. If you were discharged earlier due to a service-related disability you should contact your Regional VA Office for eligibility verification.
- July 26, 1947, to June 26, 1950
- February 1, 1955, to August 4, 1964, or May 8, 1975, to September 7, 1980 (Enlisted), or to October 16, 1981 (Officer)
- Enlisted Veterans whose service began after September 7, 1980, or officers whose service began after October 16, 1981, must have completed 24 months of continuous active duty and been honorably discharged
Reserves and National Guard
- Certain U.S. Citizens who served in the Armed Forces of a government allied with the United States during World War II.
- Surviving spouse of an eligible Veteran who died resulting from service, and has not remarried.
- The spouse of an Armed Forces member who served Active Duty, and was listed as a POW or MIA for more than 90-days.
- Existing Single-Family Home
- Townhouse or Condominium in a VA-Approved Project
- New Construction Residence
- Manufactured Home or Lot
- Home Refinances and Certain Types of Home Improvements
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF A VA LOAN?
- 100% Financing & No Down Payment Loans
- No Private Mortgage (PMI)
- No Penalties for Prepaying the Loan
- Competitive Interest Rates
- Qualification is Easier than a Conventional Loan
- Sellers Pay Some of the Closing Costs
- Can be combined with additional down payment assistance to reduce closing costs
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A VA-GUARANTEED LOAN?You can apply for a VA Loan with any mortgage lender that participates in the program. In addition to the application requirements from your lender, you will need the following at application time:
- Certificate of Eligibility from the Veterans Administration by submitting a completed VA Form 26-1880.
- Proof of Military Service from a VA Eligibility Center.